Wednesday, June 10, 2009

jump jump jump

It has been a very eventful past few days, to say the very very least. I have also noticed that my blog count has gone up by 100 since the last time I checked (like, 2 days ago). I need a stat counter :(


So, my first free day I spent shopping.. kinda. I braved Oxford Street, in the rain. I really needed clothes basically and a bag. So I quickly got disillusioned by looking for jeans, which I really really need. I found two pairs, one of which I could have got, but I couldn't decide which one fit better. And so, in true Carol style, I got neither. I am just NOT an impulsive shopper anymore. I'm getting man shopping habits. Which is funny, as when P goes shopping, he just goes to a couple of stores and spends well over £100.


So I went to look for a bag.. I researched some on the internet, but they didn't look as pretty in real life. I ended up going to John Lewis, and got a Nica bag, like this one.


Link


but the colours are different. It doesn't have it on their website either, but it is kinda like the one as above. I'm gonna use it to go to Milan, and probably as a school bag.


I have also realised that I get bored of shopping very quickly along Oxford Street. Shop after shop after shop doesn't really interest me anymore, and Westfield feels too cooped up for me to bear for longer than a few hours.


So THIS is why I have no new clothes.









The New Moon trailer looks awesome. Edward looks even more washed out than he did in the first film... at least in Twilight, he looked pale. Here, he looks washed out and on drugs. Jacob looks good in it too, though I am strongly Team Edward. It's not coming out for aaaages though.


Started reading the first Twilight book: I can finally read them without feeling guilty. Then went to the o2, via Tower Gateway and the DLR and a bus (the Jubilee line annoyingly was not working) with H and N... to see Britneyyy :)


Ciara was supporting her, and her act was good.. she advertised her new album and her twitter account. She did lots of songs I hadn't heard of, although I don't know much of her music anyway. Britney came on, after an acrobatic and gymnastic act, which was amazing.. sort of Cirque de Soleil-esque.


She put on a really good show, and I didn't really care that she was miming.. I knew she would. She hasn't done this tour to promote her singing talents. She can sing, as she has had many well selling albums. This tour is more to showcase her dancing abilities and her ability to put on a show. She DID sing Everytime, whilst hanging on the handle of a huge umbrella, suspended in the air centre stage. She was very good at her routines, using different costumes and using all parts of the stage. She wore a sari for "Me Against the Music", and looked really pretty :)


She also did a cover of "Sweet Dreams" (is that its name?) when everyone thought it was a break so they all left... odd. And there was a part at the end with all her videos mixed together, with RnB music behind it, which Natalie particularly liked "jump! jump! jump!" Hehe.


I got a pretty t shirt as well.. I didn't want one with her face on it, but the tour dates would have been cool. But they only came together. So I got a goth/emo looking one, which is red.


I mean, I could post photos so you could see her, and think "whatever", but they're everywhere. I'll put them on Facebook. The camera I was using ran out 3/4 during the concert so I had to use my phone.


It took me 2.5 hours to get home, waiting for a bus, then giving up and waiting for another bus, getting the last tube home and then getting another bus. I was so tired :(


Went to see Star Trek as well. Being a very non-sci-fi type stuff kinda fan, I was a bit apprehensive. It had good reviews, and P wanted to see it, so I went along. The beginning made me cry a bit (yes, I get emotional), but Kirk was portrayed very well. The part where young Kirk drives his stepdad's Chevrolet and stops it just in time for him to jump out and for the car to go over the cliff is particularly class. I liked the relationship between Spock and Kirk, and Spock's stillness and calmness. Also Sulu and the Russian one. I get really stressed in films because I like to know what's going on, and Nero's ship is huge. And scary. And I kept saying "what the fuck is that?!" when there were strange looking ships and when people could potentially die. I loved it though.


We also ate at the Brook Green Hotel for lunch that day, which is a place we used to go to a lot, as I lived 2 minutes away. The lunch there is wonderful, and the interior decor in beautiful :) Sometimes they have live jazz music playing, and it was always lovely to walk past at night and hear it.


Monday, I read books and had a long nap, then went to London Bridge to meet friends to go to Nando's, and see As You Like It, at the Globe. I liked the play a lot: the storyline wasn't hard to basically follow, but there were a lot of little jokes which I didn't get. I have studied some Shakespeare plays... and I think you only truly appreciate the live thing if you've studied the play. It was good nevertheless :)







Yesterday and Monday, I got messages informing me that the TfL (technically, RMT) tube strike was definitely going ahead, and so it was with a very reluctant hand that I rearranged the date of my pre-emptive party. I really didn't want to, but when you get messages like the image below, you can't really ignore it.... So I am very sorry to anyone reading this who got invited: I'm so sorry it was at such late notice. I spent half of yesterday worrying that everyone was mad at me for not letting them know sooner, because I have only heard from five people.



I hope you're not angry at my letting you know so late :(


I have also managed to discern from P that my friends are getting me a present (collectively or otherwise), but I don't want to know anything more. I know it's not a phone, and I really hope it's not a stupid bath/shower or pamper yourself type idea giftset. Or a candle. Or food. Except cake.


But I don't want a cake. I can buy my own from Caffe Concerto, which is just across from High Street Kensington station.


But I really don't mind. The more I think about it, my need for presents comes from not getting that many as a child. I got presents for my birthday, sure, and for Christmas sometimes too, but it wasn't a big thing for my family. Christmas especially. And for the past few years, I have just gotten money, which I do not spend. My biggest gift of the past ten years was my car. And so, I love receiving presents, particularly as I have been involved in the research, finding, buying, wrapping and organising the paying of of many presents, particularly in the past year. Oh, and buying the card. No one ever buys the card. Except me.


And so yes, the more I think about it, I think I like to give people presents more than I like to receive them.. which is saying a lot. Every other day, I ask P (in a non jokey but slightly hopeful way) if he has gotten me a gift. 30% of the time, it's a yes, where it's something like dinner out, or books I ordered and got sent to the RSM which he picked up, or a 5p coin or some good news.


But whilst I do love getting gifts, I know it's also difficult. And thence it's kind of a challenge for me, as I try to figure out (usually with other people's help) what that person will most likely appreciate and get good use or enjoyment out of. It makes me happy to know that the gift receiver likes their gift, as I try to put lots of thought into it.


So please don't feel as though you need to get me anything. I have most things I desire, and am capable of buying stuff if I want (read: can be bothered). Your company is a gift in itself.






Image 1 and 3 from google.
Image 2 is my own.
Image 4 is a screenshot of my gmail.

No comments:

Post a Comment