Thursday, June 25, 2009

i don't care what you think...

Read Digital Fortress by Dan Brown for the first time in about six years yesterday. The gist of the story I still remembered but I decided to buy it, and read (as with Deception Point). These books are long, but short, and only take 4 or 5 hours to read with breaks. I liked it, but I didn't understand the computer references and the cryptography. I spent a lot of the book thinking "oh, it's Hale who is NDAKOTA" because somehow I remembered that he was in love with the main character, Susan. Maybe I got it wrong, because Strathmore is the one who wants to change what the virus thing will do for cryptography. It got a bit silly at the end, as if Dan Brown had introduced so many characters he had to kill them off, and then abruptly end the story, with the code, which I figured out, based on the uranium clue.
Deception Point was totally stupid, the story just got more and more absurd. I mean, it was nice that the current President won in the end, but he deceived lots of people, and lots of people died unnecessarily, and the role of Delta Force was never really revealed to the main characters.


So I think Dan Brown should stick with historical secret societies being resurrected in order to increase church attendance, as that seems to be what he is good at based on The Da Vinci Code, and Angels and Demons. The controversy around those books seems well deserved.


I need to download more films: my internet at my flat is controlled by the landlord, and its configuration is such that bit torrent type things are blocked. So instead of watching films or using the internet, I read lots. And lots. I mean, I have watched Generation Kill the past few weeks, 20 minutes at a time, which is a HBO series (a tv channel in America). It is about a Rolling Stone writer, Evan Wright, who joins the Recon Marines as they invade Iraq, and then Baghdad. (is that how you spell it?) It's very good, and you get to know what they actually got up to. It seems to me that they were just kids out of college or whatever, who wanted some money and the chance to do something for their country. It got messed up big time though, and they left, having created more problems than were there to begin with. P bought the book last week, and says the TV show has been faithful to the book, which should be interesting to read.
Now we have moved on to Band of Brothers, which is about D Day, something I shamefully (or, not so shamefully) don't know very much (read: anything) about. I mean, I DO know that it was during the second world war, and that American people were involved, and it was in June. But beyond that, I don't know anything. Again, this is based on a book (I think). I've just watched the first episode (again, 20 minutes at a time... we watch it over dinner), with Ross from Friends in it, David Schwimmer. All I can think of when I see his character, the leader of Easy Company, is Ross from Friends, and therefore I cannot take his role seriously.


But I really like it so far. Insofar as there has not been much fighting and the like. The thing I hate more than not understanding what is going on in the tv show/film is having to watch people die or get seriously hurt, closely followed by suspense (with or without the suspense music). So now I have been informed exactly who will die and who will suffer what injuries, in the hope that I don't get too upset when they inevitably suffer death/injury.


It's very weird to see friends who are graduating, and the last time you think you will see them in the forseeable future, their parting is "have a nice life"... kind of weird to hear from people you have known from the past few years and then you might not see them again. And also upsetting because you don't know what will happen to your friendship. I guess I am lucky in that my course is long but after a few years, all you see are medics.


Yet another of my friends is showing signs of having romantic feelings about another of their friends. Firstly, if they are telling me this, why aren't they doing something about it, and secondly why do they not understand what a huge risk it is to change your friendship into something different. Apparently, it is like in the When Harry Met Sally film, but it makes me sad that I can't do anything about it. Being the girl, it isn't socially as difficult to find a boy and to go out, but those social rules can sometimes be silly, but provide a platform for people to stand on. I once implied I wanted to go out with a boy, then it just.. went wrong and we were kind of friends for the remainder of the year then drifted away and now I don't really know what they are up to and I do not particularly care.


But this boy is all about grand gestures, which makes me feel like he is trying to buy the girl. But I think I have to tread carefully when giving "advice". But grand gestures are just overwhelming at the start, and should be saved for very important things. I would hate to feel bought, "but I bought you lots of stuff"... it's not because I think it is chivalrous of the boy, but that the boy should want to do it.


Went to see Sister Act at the London Palladium yesterday: it was a lot different from the film but still good. I haven't seen the film for years and years.. which is kind of good because then I wasn't like "oh, but that wasn't in it, that was different" etc. So you should check it out.


Got my highest score on Call of Duty some number, which R brought to SAF and we played games and played retarded snap. I'm bad at hand eye co-ordination, and reactions and such.. so I did well (I thought so anyway).


Weighed myself yesterday: was shocked at the number, so I have decided to diet for real. For the next week or so at least. It might be because of muscle bulk and the like, so I have stopped exercising.. I can be a couch tomato.


xo






when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true

No comments:

Post a Comment