Saturday, July 18, 2009

i can write it better than you ever felt it

For those of you that don't know, I am back home for the summer, in a very cold and rainy kind of place. My parents insist that it is not cold, but it is further proof that I have become acclimatised to the South of England, and hence moving further away from the equator, I feel the cold more. And the rain. But maybe that's because I don't have an umbrella.

I am doing an anaesthesia elective in a hospital: everyone thinks I am doing an SSM (special study module) which must be something students do at M U. I am not doing that, nor am I from that university, something I have to repeat about five times a day. When I was at N P, despite being busy all the time and waking up at crazy hours, I got to help out in the anaesthesia department, and thought it was pretty cool, so I thought I'd get some more exposure in the area. Geeky I know. But it gets expensive entertaining oneself for 3.5 months, so at least I can save money for those 1.5 months.

So it's been pretty cool so far, got to make people go to sleep and give them drugs and watch operations. Tuesday, I was in the maternity delivery suite, and watched 2 c sections. One baby was 10 lbs 3, massive, poor mother. When they first come out, and you hear that cry, it's such a lovely sound. There was also a hot obs/gynae SpR just finishing the night shift. Things like that shouldn't be allowed. Doesn't it get distracting??

This week has been the first week I've driven my car with any regularity for over six months. Suffice to say, I would NEVER pass my driving test the way I am now. But a lot of people are the same. I mean, I can drive, but I don't hold the wheel at 10 to 2, or quarter to 3, or whatever you do. I don't do that pull push thing - never understood it anyway. I rely on my sixth sense when I'm reversing etc. I'm not saying I am a dangerous driver, I mirror signal manoeuvre (how do you spell it?), I indicate, I look where I'm going and I have at least one hand on the wheel at all times.. it's just, learning to drive is so different from having a license and driving.

Saw a very skinny girl having some operation - I forget what now. Made me feel ill, because her hip bones were fully sticking out, and she had stretch marks from where she had lost loads of weight. NO one I know is that thin, everyone who is is naturally like that. This girl had a concave stomach. I'm serious. So after theatre finished, I went to the shop and bought two chocolate bars for extra calories.

I've been having weird dreams. The other night, I was setting up a drip and giving drugs - no prizes where the basis for that dream came from, and last night, I dreamt that I was in the shop - that's my other non paid job. I work in a shop 6 hours a day every night. My parents own it, so if I really want something, they'd get it for me, in lieu of wages. It's fun too. I like it. - and I had made this order, involving curry and pizza (which I mistakenly called pie, then immediately corrected myself) for no reason, and I was trying to sell it to this guy, who had blond hair and was wearing a black jacket. He showed signs of wanting the food, but not a big enough sign, so I was like, (in a joky way) fine, you don't want it. Then he hung around for ages as I served other people and made food and attended to the drinks fridge in hope that he would get the food. (he had no money). Then out of nowhere, he asks my dad for a Happy Meal, as it was only £1.50 (his words), although in real life, happy meals aren't that cheap surely. It's been years that I've been in a McDonalds to buy food other than ice cream. Waste of a company I think. Anyway. Then he walks out, and looks back and I look coyly. It was stupid, something out of a chick flick. *shudders*

Sorry I'm rubbish at keeping in touch with anyone who bothers to read this - comment?? - I have free texts now, and so I can text you guys in theatre if you like. That's what everyone does when nothing's happening. Have a "brew" (tea or coffee I think?) and check their phones. - but I finish around 5 every day, I get home at six, have my dinner (oh yeah, up North, they call lunch "dinner", and dinner "tea". Weird. Even before uni, I never called the midday meal eating time "dinner") and then help out in the shop for a couple of hours.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment