Saturday, August 21, 2010

we are two worlds apart

This week has been interesting, to say the very very very least.

Spent a large part of the early part of this week having fun Paediatric learning times with some really good doctors and there was generally lots of good chat too. (!)  I don't particularly want to go into any specifics, but it was a really really great start to a week that I had mixed feelings about.  Spent time in the Special Care Baby Unit, and in Paediatric A&E, and on the main paediatric ward, as well as not looking silly in handover.  I feel less scared of Paediatrics now; at first it was a little bit overwhelming and in particular Carol fashion, I had a huge panic at the beginning, thankfully not witnessed by anyone.

It is a little bit of a shame that the attachment has been shortened, but all the same, I think the holidays mini-breaks consolidation weeks will be useful indeed.  I have residency these next two weeks, where theoretically, I'm meant to be resident... but living not that far away counts as being resident, yes?

We had lectures on Wednesday, which were well delivered (two of them, at least) but they were about depressing topics.  I love walking back in the sunshine.  Because I have black hair, it absorbs heat like nothing (I have to take breaks from blowdrying my hair because my hair gets too hot and burns me) but it feels good when it's sunny.  We had a really interesting conversation about divorce and general culture differences.  I like that I have friends who are from different cultures, and also that I have something to contribute.  A lot of traditions or superstitions that I still uphold / maintain / believe in are sometimes things that I don't realise that I'm doing and so I don't realise that it might seem a bit unusual to some people.  For example, placement of things and doing certain things on certain days.

About divorce.. I don't believe in it.  As in, I would never marry someone if I knew at the start it wouldn't work out.  Granted, this is something you cannot predict which is why I'd like to know the guy for ages beforehand, so that marriage would not be too huge a transition.  Once during the winter this year or last year, P and I were having dinner at the weekend (which usually involves him cooking, me getting in the way and then me disliking washing up) and watching something on his computer and he said that we were just like a married couple with a very familiar routine.  I'm not sure how that makes me feel.  We talk of marriage in a semi-abstract way, in that it will be somewhere in the future, but it feels like an incredibly grown up step for me.  That's probably because I'm still at uni, but friends from school that are my age are getting flats and jobs and getting engaged and the like.

I floated the idea of a potential baby girl name, and decided I don't want to live in a boat, or in a treehouse.  I also had a surprise phone call from Costa Rica on Wednesday, bringing the voice contact count to 3.  It makes me wistful when I hear his travelling stories because I know that I will never have an opportunity like that.

So the end of the working week has mixed reviews.  The former half of the week was better than the latter (I think of the week as Monday to Friday, with 2 days weekend to play).  I mean, it was still good, just not as good as Mon - Wed.  Maybe I just had set myself too high a standard.  There has been lots of medicine, lots of discussion, laughs and some gossip :-)  There was also a bit of waiting around because of a couple of paediatric emergency cases but had some good self directed learning times.  As in, I actually looked at the book.

Met up with some friends last night to chat and play cards and the like.  Formal apologies for any untoward behaviour on my part.
Had an eventful morning, and woke up to some post which contained a physical manifestation of one of my goals to achieve before I am 30.  Got a bit excited and I wish I could tick them off via html... *investigates*

Had a very very weird dream this morning between 6 and 8am too... I dream that I was in my flat, and it was sunny but people were passing through my flat to get to the garden.  I was confused about why they were entering my flat just to get to the back door, as I had never noticed it before.  Though to be fair, dream Carol is probably unobservant too.  So I looked outside, and it was like a field.  There were people sat on benches chatting, and it was a private space just for people on my floor, but the annoying thing was that they had to go into my flat to get to the garden, and I was thinking, "well, it's all fine when I am here but what about when I'm not?  Then they might take my things".  But then I got distracted by this blond man, who was my next door neighbour.  So I walked past his flat, which had a round pane of glass in it so I could see inside, and he was doing some sort of fitness DVD.  His room was so sparsely decorated in comparison to mine, but there was lots of orange, yellow and purple patterned things.  I was also a bit :O at the arrangement of the things too.  If I had Paint, I'd draw the room for you.

Then he passed through my room again, and I was like, "hey! you're my next door neighbour?!?!" and then he told me he had lived next door for years but I had never seen him before.

Then I was playing in the playground at my school, and I had copper brown hair and a dress on.  It was breaktime and there were 2 teachers supervising and people were in the garden too.  (My school's playground had a sort of enclosed pretty garden area) but then I got some sort of call and fought this monster with (get this), two huge molecules of potassium chloride, with the two ions K+ and Cl- separately.  And it worked. (???)

Then I got another mission call, and had to run out of the playground, ignoring the reprimand of my teacher, and ran up the ramp and to the end of the road.  I realised I had nothing to fight with, then I saw this black helicopter moving towards me.  I asked it, "do you have any malicious intent towards me?" and it moved from side to side as if to say no.  So then I picked it up and it turned into a little toy helicopter, attached by string to a pink balloon that was not inflated.

So eventually I worked out that if I inflated the balloon, the helicopter got bigger too.  So I could get into the helicopter.  But it would get smaller with time so I'd have to reinflate the balloon.  Totally strange!!!  Then my best friend got into the helicopter with me, and then we flew over to the town and she told me to land on top of the Science Museum.

Weird, right??!!!!!

Ugh.. now I am overheating :(

Hope you are all well!
Carol xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment