Friday, March 25, 2011

together we found a youth fountain

Urgh.  You know that feeling when you've been awake for too long and your whole body gets weak and you feel sick?  That's how I've felt for the past week and a half.  Been on labour ward, and hitting it hard, so that I can get the right combination of deliveries.  Basically, on O&G, we all spend time on labour ward, understanding the process of labour and the monitoring needed, and also to see the movement of the baby as it is delivered.  It has been known for being very tiring.  So we need to get 10 deliveries, through whichever method, meaning a normal vaginal delivery (SVD = spontaneous vaginal delivery), an instrumental delivery (ventouse/kiwi or forceps) which help to deliver the baby's head, or a Caesarean section.  I did five shifts in total, three nights and two day time ones... very tiring.  So in the past week and a half, on three separate occasions, I have been awake for over 30 hours (most was 35 hours).  It is painful, sitting through clinic and tutorials wishing the time would go by quicker so that you can finally get home and sleep.


It has certainly been a wonderful and life changing experience :)  This past week and a half has not been the first time I have seen babies being born, but it was still a huge privilege all the same.  I am not usually one for using twitter to talk about my medicine life all the time; I get a bit annoyed when medics are like, "I saw this and this and this today and I did this interesting medical related thing".  So I've tried not to use twitter to talk about delivering babies all the time over the past few nights.  Staying awake for 32, 35 and 37 hours over 9 days really takes it out on you though; it is not advised.  Do not try this at home.


Been trying to study, and failing... I've come home the past few days and been too tired to do anything.  Started watching Junior Doctors on BBC iplayer, finally.  It is very interesting, but I'm going to wait until I've seen a few more episodes before I pass judgement on some of the doctors on it.


Also.. in love with this song.  Skylar Grey helped to write both versions of Love the Way You Lie.  She has a hauntingly beautiful voice.













Here is the original Love the Way You Lie song.  Whatever you think about this song, you can't deny that the rapping is lyrically very clever.


No comments:

Post a Comment