Sunday, April 3, 2011

give me a dancefloor

An eventful few days have elapsed,.. I use the word 'eventful' in a very loose way.  Hung out on labour ward clerking everyone there and watching sections and assisting in sections.  I really enjoy the atmosphere on labour ward.  I love how everyone is happy to help everyone else, I love that it is always busy and there is something going on, even when there are no actively labouring women.  It seems like a big family.  People I have spoken to in the past and recently have had mixed reactions to being on labour ward, but I can honestly say I have never had a less than positive reaction.  I have never been turned away from a birth, I have always had something to do.  I never left my shifts early, and in return for my dedication to being there, I got a lot of opportunities.  I've been able to scrub into quite a few sections, often where I have acted as the assistant surgeon (as opposed to the fourth scrubbed up person around the table: 2 doctors + scrub nurse).


As part of an ongoing process to redecorate and change my blog, I have removed some more entries, or parts of entries.  A few months ago, we received emails from the medical school office saying that our actions in the social media are important, and that we should maintain patient confidentiality.  I have removed people's names and changed them to initials (as far as I was able to) and removed personal information.  Over the past couple of days, I have been more vigilant about doing this, further removing more and more entries and images, and I locked my twitter for a while so that I could go through and remove any tweets alluding to where I live / where I go etc.  Someone who is fairly close to me was involved in an incident involving confidentiality - I wrote 


I want it to be publically known that I do not spread gossip concerning my friends, especially where it can be used with malicious intent


on my twitter.  Friendships can be formed easily or slowly at university.  The way people act now does not always correlate with the way people acted back then.  There are a few people of my acquaintance who may not act in the most appropriate manner currently, but there is some redeeming feature for them in my eyes, in that they have done something for me which has meant a lot to me.


I know what it is like to be gossiped about; it is something unpleasant and you can only wait for it to die away itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment