Saturday, February 26, 2011

London Fashion Weekend 2011

This is turning out to be a tradition for me.  This is my fourth venture to London Fashion Weekend, and the first time I have been on my own.  I admit I was a little apprehensive, because part of the fun is getting good deals with your friends, and trying on outfits you know you would never wear, and seeing how cheap things are compared to their store prices!  Also, you have someone to tell you if a top or a dress or whatever looks good on you.


LFWE seems to be getting bigger and better every year; they have certainly stepped up their advertising campaign, sending out emails really early, and encouraging their email list subscribers to buy tickets as Christmas presents.  But equally, the deals you get are becoming better and better, and they actually sell men's clothes now.  I'm glad they moved from the Natural History Museum.  Whilst that was so much nearer, the tent they built twice a year wasn't all that big, and using the Somerset House allowed for more designers and more space.


I try to have a goal each time, and this one was to look properly at the Elizabeth Lau offerings, because I'd never really looked at this designer before, and last year, they were in a side room without much flow-through traffic.  So I didn't have any expectations of what I would get from LFWE, which I guess is a good thing.  A lot of designers I like were there, and I made sure I looked at them, but sometimes seeing the thing in real life is not the same.


Anyway, Elizabeth Lau is a London based designer, whose brand I can only describe as girly but mischievous.  They don't have fussy designs, and most of the pieces have clean cut simple lines, with small attention to detail, which I love.  I was in the Elizabeth Lau section for a while, trying to justify to myself whether or not I could pull off a jumper (shown here, with the cupcake) because the "small" is too big, but they didn't have a smaller size.  I also got two cardigans (I'm really into cardigans at the moment, because they keep you warm, they can formalise an outfit in a girly and not too serious way and they look good).  I didn't take pictures of them, but I found something akin to them online, but not the exact same things.


Lola Rose always has massive savings on their stock; they had loads of bracelets and rings and scarves.. which I never noticed before.  I was in the accessories tent for a good long while, trying to decide which LR bits and pieces to get.  Finally settled on two bracelets, and two scarves.  I didn't know Lola Rose did scarves, but just looked up the price online.  They are incredibly expensive!  So glad I got two now!  The stall was incredibly busy; there was this Indian family who seemed to be buying up half the stall, without any qualms.  They had so many bracelets and scarves and rings and everything.  Below are the two scarves I got... one is a wintery scarf, brown with pink and red and orange flowers on it, and the other one is a lighter one, more suitable for the summertime or the autumn time.




The headband in the foreground is from Kleshna, which I haven't been able to find online anywhere.  I tried on every single one they had to find the one with the perfect fit (haha) and decided upon a blue one.  I remember them from last year... they had a colour coded charging systen, where a red dot sticker would mean £5 and an orange one would be £10 and so on.  But I didn't ever look at their offerings, so I am glad I did this time.


I got two more Twenty8Twelve t shirts, which are big on me so I can wear them under my crochet dress top, and I got a pair of shoes from the Juicy Couture section, but they were of a different make: Daniblack (?)  I am hoping there will be an occasion soon where I can show off my new shoes!  I have a feeling they might take practice to walk in, and that they will end up hurting my feet after a while, but hey.  No pain, no gain.





So what else was there?  I'd never been into the Emporio Made in Italy or the Designer Studio.  They had lots of Galliano offerings.. scarves, bags, shoes.  To be honest, I didn't know Galliano had his own design brand; I just thought he hung out at Dior all the time.  A lot of it was pretty, but overpriced.  I almost became a label slave and got a Versace scarf, but then got a hold of myself; I already had two scarves at this point.  I do not want to be known as scarf lady.  I didn't like the Designer Studio; there was nothing that caught my eye, and nothing that I couldn't get elsewhere at LFWE for much cheaper.


I wasn't impressed by the Juicy Couture room; it was overcrowded as always, and all there was were bags, purses, socks, shoes and jewellery.  A lot of the accessories they have are nice, as long as you can steer clear of the "Juicy Couture" all over your item.  They didn't have any clothes this time, which I was a bit sad about.  But there were lots of people fawning over the socks.  As if they want a piece of the brand so much, they're willing to pay crazy amounts of money for some socks which bear the words "Juicy Couture".


Les Nereides got famous enough to make it into the Accessories tent, but their quirky costume jewellery line, N2 was poorly represented.  There wasn't much of a discount this time, even though a lot of their things are pretty.






I also saw two pretty things... a pretty arrangement of necklaces at Lola Rose to make one necklace, and a gorgeous bag made of 'roses', but I forget who designed it.  It was next to some Swarovski studded clutches though (they looked a tiny bit gaudy) but the rose bags were pretty!







So... all in all, I got 11 things which should have cost over £1000 in total.  I paid significantly less than that :D




C xoxo


images: images.google.co.uk; www.asos.com; www.n2-lesnereides.com; my own photos; londonfashionweekend.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment