Wednesday, February 9, 2011

tell me why can't i still be the one?

January went by very quickly.. with lots of good things and lots of new things.  On an Oncology rotation, which is for the very emotionally strong willed.  The firm I am on deals with head and neck cancers and prostate cancers.  The timetable is very relaxed and everyone is really nice :)  Which is great because now there is time to catch up with other work and also see people.  And also sleep.. very important.


Anyway, oncology is both positive and negative; I've spoken to some lovely patients, who are very optimistic and accept their diagnosis, and there have been others who have not reacted so well.  I don't think I could do it as a speciality though - the snapshot we have as undergraduates is very interesting but I'm not sure I am strong enough to spend a career in oncology.


In other news... R and I went to see Tangled at the cinema.  It is based on Rapunzel, the story of the girl with long hair who is locked in a tower.  It was very funny - the chameleon and the horse were great characters, and the 3D effect was different to other 3D films I have seen.  There were more songs than I thought, and there were cheesy moments, but overall, it was a great film.  It made me leave feeling happy.


Valentine's Day seems to be making less of a commercial push this year, compared to other years.  I mean, stores can be decorated pretty much all year round to reflect the season or the upcoming holiday even though it may be ages away.  For example, Selfridge's started to sell Christmas stuff, and a huge portion of the lower ground floor was dedicated to Christmassy things, in August.  A whole five months before the actual day.  Anyway, Valentine's is always a bit of a weird one for me, because I hate what mass marketing has done to us.  It tells us that it's better to tell the one you love, or the one you secretly love or whatever, on that specific day, and it seems to encourage the idea that saying it to someone on 14th February somehow means a lot more than it does on another dat.  I have never bought a Valentine's gift, only a card a few years ago, and whilst we go out for dinner, it isn't any more exciting or special than any other dinner.

Lastly, I read about the iphone Catholic confessing sins application.. it seems that you can get applications for ludicrous things now.  At least the Catholic church tries to keep up with modern technology...!


Hope you have all been well xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment