Wednesday, February 2, 2011

pieces of good news

Good news, good news all around!!!



1) I have been selected to be one of the 'givers' on 5 March 2011, for World Book Night.  It's a move to distribute 1,000,000 books across the country to get people reading.  There are 25 titles in all, and the one I am giving away is 'Life of Pi'.  I hadn't read any of the books, but I had heard that this one was particularly noteworthy.  To apply (back in November or December), I had to state why it was this book in particular that I wished to give away to 48 people.


I forget the details now, but 'Life of Pi' revolves around a boat story, and I know one of those already.  For those of you who don't know, basically the 'boat story' is the story of how my parents got to England.  Over the past few years, I have become more and more interested in my family's lives, and what it was like before I was born.  This 'boat story' moved me when I first heard it, and it still does every time I tell someone or I hear it.  And I thought that I could help to move others, as they share in the 'boat story' in 'Life of Pi'.  Now I have to figure out a way to distribute them.






2) P and I are very slack on gift-getting, and have decided to renew our Valentine's Day gift amnesty. (Why would you pick one day to buy your loved one a gift?  Surely if you loved them, you wouldn't need one day of the whole year to make extra special effort?)  I got my Christmas present! Finally.  I have conflicting ideas about gifts, but I picked these out myself which is probably why I love them lots :-D Our gift exchange involved online shopping, so whilst I still have overvalued ideas about things girls should have as they pass into adulthood, I picked things out from one website only (not my idea).




3) Organised a Chinese New Year dinner for my friends and I last weekend in Chinatown.  It was surprising that people turned up for a celebration of something most of them don't celebrate, compared to turn out for people's birthdays.  Anyway, I wore my cheongsam, which P bought for me in Hong Kong - apparently it took him a long time to find.  I was and still am one of those people who loves to wear new things as soon as I have bought / received / got them, but even I know there is a time and a place for a cheongsam.  Now I need to figure out a way to work the kimono into my normal socially acceptable wardrobe.  Hm.. National Foundation Day is in a few days.....




4) It is Chinese New Year tomorrow!


新年快樂

Xīnnián kuàilè




Carol
xoxo




all images from google

No comments:

Post a Comment