Friday, December 17, 2010

day fourteen xoxo

Day 14 – A TV show you’re currently addicted to


Gossip Girl!!


I loooove this show.  I bought the first book, which I think is called 'Gossip Girl' on a trip to the shops when I did some in-house work experience (of which I have some very fond memories!) I was with another girl, called Mel; she was a Glaswegian, and she was studying Philosophy or Psychology, and with a very sweet old lady, who was wheelchair bound.  The work experience involved living in a respite centre for a week, and helping the disabled guests and taking them out to see local attractions (the place where we were staying was actually very pretty) and so their carers could have a break too.


So we were in this bookshop, and it was one of those that sold books that weren't that popular, and had loads and loads of copies of them, loads on sale.  So I saw this book, and it looked fun because it had a gold cover, with a picture of some people at a party, except you couldn't see their faces.  The blurb looked interesting, and so I bought the book.  A week later, when I got home I read it, and thought it served very well as a standalone (is that one word?) book, and only realised a few years later that it was a series.


Gossip Girl was picked up by The CW in 2006 or 2007, and is on its fourth season.  I only started to watch it this April, partway through the third season.  I wasn't really aware of it as a show in the previous years and felt that the memory of my reading that book and watching the show would not correlate.  Nevertheless, when P went away, I downloaded lots of TV shows and films, and Gossip Girl was one of them.  It was during my History of Medicine project, where I would keep very odd hours and get sniffly due to dusty archives.


For those of you who don't know, the show basically revolves around a group of friends on the Upper East Side in New York who are spoilt and privileged.  It follows them through their school years as juniors, seniors, freshmen and then university.  They get up to crazy things and try to one-up each other and their exploits are reported on a website which sends out text "blasts" by a site called Gossip Girl, whose creator is still unknown, but is voiced by Kristen Bell.


I watched all 60 episodes or whatever had been made in about a week; it reminds me of being at school, with all the plotting and bitching and trying to outdo other people.. I never really partook in these things; I was just an observer.


The fashion in Gossip Girl has also been acclaimed; the main characters seem to wear different outfits all the time, without really recycling anything, but it's not a bad thing.  As I wrote in the post about Jenny Humphrey / Taylor Momsen, the fashion is very pretty.


from facebook.com/gossipgirl




you know you love me
xoxo
Carol


---


click here to see the rest of the list for the 30 day blog challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment