Saturday, December 18, 2010

it turned into an art not to show the world that it was you

Saw P off today.  It started snowing very very badly about 10.30 which was a pain, and then I haven't left the house since I returned just after 11am... it's too cold to go out and the snow was bad.  It was okay in the afternoon but I thought, hmm, maybe not.  People get really excited about snow, particularly in London (?) where it messes up transport a lot, and people get all het up about it, like they've never seen snow before?  Maybe it's just because I am from the North... snow was pretty much a many-times-a-year occurrence for me, and we all deal with it just fine, even though there is significantly less salt/grit stuff.


Watched BBC's adaptation of Jane Eyre.  I have always felt it is a very gothic style novel, and the TV adaptation definitely reflected that.  It included everything, but glossed over Jane's school life and early life in about 15 minutes, even though the things that happened then were important in her later life.  Now watching "Lost in Austen", which is a bit odd.


Used my tried and tested method of present buying.  I am always bad at buying presents, either they're late or non existent, and I always want to get something that the person will like.  So what I have done in the past is leave it to the last minute (often buying it just in the half hour before the birthday dinner) because the time pressures me to get something, and it always works.  So yesterday, I went out to get something for P's parents (P's brother's then girlfriend (now wife) got them a gift last year and I felt bad for not getting me anything, particularly when they got me some pretty earrings!) so I browsed Whole Foods and Muji, both unsuccessful endeavours, and then got the bus to Piccadilly, to visit Fortnum & Mason which is very extravagant but I got everything I needed.  I think it is akin to Harrods, in that it is very famous and its name is well known, so lots of tourists go in there, even though they do not buy anything.  This means they get in the way of people trying to buy things.  There is not that much space in F&M, or maybe it just felt like that because there were so many people!!  P thought highly of my gifts (I got some strawberry tea, a box of pomona soaked chocolate raisins, two boxes of shortbread, some fondant fancy things and a jar of lavender honey for them).. I like the bags.  They are Tiffany-colour-esque.


I still haven't gotten P anything, but we've decided not to get anything until after Christmas, so we can partake in the sales.  Neither of us had time either; I had an exam to study for on the Friday (which I confess I did not do much of....) and he had work and lots of parties....


♥ C


PS. Old school song I love + Sailor Moon video = amazing!  I loved Sailor Moon a crazy amount when I was young; I used to watch it in Chinese, so Japanese/English just feels wrong now.  I knew all her catch phrases and everything.  Haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment