Tuesday, December 14, 2010

i can't tell you what it really is

The lack of life posting is because nothing exciting is happening in my life.  I am a bit homesick as it's been a long time away from my home.  Just finishing the end of my Musc / Derm firm.. thinking about what Christmas gifts to buy (why does it get harder every year!?!) and trying to organise a dinner before Christmas to see some friends.

Hmmm.... I have refrained from speaking about the student fees protests so far.  I walked by the places where the protests happened last week.  I don't want to get into a huge rant but I find the violent protesters to be incredibly disrespectful and disgraceful.  I know they were only a small proportion... but all the same.  Violence, in my opinion, does not solve anything, and I cannot believe that the Cenotaph was defiled.  Even if some things in the protest could be justified, the boy who was photographed on the front pages of most of the newspapers at the weekend, even the broadsheets, showed a complete lack of respect for those who gave their lives for this country.  It makes me a bit angry; he is a Cambridge history student, and I hope he will be reprimanded upon his return to Cambridge in January.  It totally lowers the meaning of what it is to be a student at a very prestigious university, and it goes to show that there is a fine line between being famous and infamous.  And Winston Churchill's statue.... Both these monuments are NOT related in ANY way to student tuition fees; why can't people respect history and understand that these monuments have a purpose?  They are not merely decorative.  It made me angry to see those things on TV and I had to leave the place where I was watching it and I believe my most uttered phrase that day was "it's completely disrespectful!"

Excited about Christmas... I've been hearing stories that it might snow these next few days?  Hope I can still get home okay..

Hope you've all been well!

C x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment